Personality components are one major feature in the futurity role playing game. Because they increase the credibility of the action, they also increase the involvement of the player. And with correct role play they even have a strong influence on the decision making process by the player during the game. What is it ? How to use it ? Is it difficult to understand ? We start first with a quick review of this five components. Then, we show you how to read the personality components area on the character’s card. And finally, we conclude with two practical examples excerpt from a game during the character’s creation step. After reading this article you will see those personality components like something fun and simple.
Personality components can be easily remembered with the mnemonic “OCEAN” which stands for Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and iNstability. All this personality traits are represented on the character’s card with the appropriate letter. So there is five components
- Openness is represented by the letter O on the character’s card. A blacken zone on the left under this letter represents an inventive or curious character. While a blacken right zone symbolises a consistent, a cautious one. The character’s openness also represent his appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, curiosity, and variety of experience.
- Conscientiousness is represented by the letter C on the character’s card. A blacken zone on the left under this letter represents an efficient, well organized character. While a blacken right zone symbolises a easy-going, to often careless character. The character’s conscientiousness also represents a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; planned rather than spontaneous behaviour.
- Extraversion is represented by the letter E on the character’s card. A blacken zone on the left under this letter represents an outgoing, very energetic character. While a blacken right zone symbolises a solitary, very reserved one. The character’s extraversion also represents energy, positive emotions, and the tendency to seek stimulation in the company of others.
- Agreeableness is represented by the letter A on the character’s card. A blacken zone on the left under this letter represents a friendly and compassionate character. While a blacken right zone symbolises a cold blooded one. The agreeableness represents also the character’s tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others.
- Instability–is represented by the letter N on the character’s card. A blacken zone on the left under this letter represents a sensitive, often nervous character. While a blacken right zone symbolises a secure and confident one. The instability represents also the character’s tendency to experience unpleasant emotions easily, such as anger, anxiety, depression, or vulnerability.
The diagram below shows how to blacken the correct area according to your choice on the character’s card. In this particular example, we choose to show you the openness case.
Now, let’s go through the review of two practical cases from the game creation phase.
My character have always great ideas on everything and feel very please to share them with everybody. She likes so much her ideas that she feels little concern for others… She is a very relaxed person, unless she has no more audience to listen to her . She has his head in the clouds : the last time she forgot her spaceline ticket.
GEN34 ZONAR’s player
As a former military my character not loose his temper easily. Twenty years of using standard operating procedure in war zones has have a deep impact on his behaviours : he try to always be prepared for everything. He really don’t talk a lot with his teammates, and with nobody else either… And maybe it’s a good thing ! He is more at ease to talk about the last cover girl rather talking about abstract ideas. But under his body armour is he a very soft heart person, but I don’t think he will admit it.
The following diagram shows the personality component area of SAPHY and ZONAR character’s card. You can visualize the choices of their players according to the two little texts above.
As you now understand, the personality components provide players strong guideline to interpret correctly their character while still having fun . If you want specific advise a an personality development, feel free to ask below.